The question as to whether someone is employed or self employed is not as straightforward as it might at first appear. Many people assume they are free to choose, but this is not the case. Although there is no clear-cut answer as to how you decide if you are self-employed or not, the following should be on your checklist
Fundamental factors to consider:
- The right to get a substitute or helper to do the job;
- Mutuality of obligations.
Other factors to consider:
- Provision of equipment;
- Financial Risk;
- Basis of Payment
- Opportunity to profit from sound management;
- Part and parcel of the organisation;
- Right of dismissal;
- Employee benefits;
- Intention of the parties;
- Length of engagement.